Sami K. Solanki
¡á Academic Career
May 2008 / Offered Full Professorsip at the ETH (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) Zurich
Since Nov. 1999 / Scientific Member of the Max Planck Society and Director at the Max-Planck-Institut fur Sonnensystemforschung.
Dec.1998 / Offered Directorship of the World Radiation Centre and Physical Meteorological Observatory, Davos, Switzerland.
Nov.1998 / Offered C4-Professorship for Experimental Experimental Extraterrestrial Physics at the University of Kiel, Germany.
Aug. 1992 / Appointed Professor of Astronomy at the University of Oulu, Finland.
Jan. 1992 / Appointed Senior research associate at the Institute of Astronomy, ETH Zurich.
1989-1991 / Post-doctoral research associate at the Institute of Astronomy, ETH Zurich.
1987-1989 / Post-doctoral research fellow at the Department of Mathematical Sciences of the University of St. Andrews, Scotland.
1987 / Doctorate of the ETH in Natural.
1982 / Diploma of the ETH in Physics.
¡á Research Topics and Publications
A total of 524 scientific publications, of which 259 are in refereed scientific journals and 57 are invited reviews.
They deal mainly with the following topics:
Solar and heliospheric physics : Observations and theory of solar magnetism and convection − solar variability and its influence on the Earth, in particular the Sun-climate connection − structure of the solar atmosphere − coronal loops and oscillations − helioseismology − coronal holes and the fast solar wind − solar activity in historic and pre-historic times.
Stellar physics : Theory and observation of stellar magnetism and the associated activity − stellar rotational evolution − stellar imaging.
Gravitation : Astronomical tests of the equivalence principle and of alternative theories of gravity.
Radiative transfer : Radiative transfer of polarized light − theory of contribution and response functions− inversion techniques.
Atomic and molecular physics : Theory of the molecular Zeeman and Paschen-Back effects− Landé factors of atomic and molecular lines.
Other topics : Heliospheric modulation of galactic cosmic rays – protoplanetary discs – techniques for detecting extrasolar planet transits – stellar oscillations – development and application of waveletbased techniques.
Five selected publications:
1. Solanki S.K., Livingston W., Ayres T.R.: New Light on the Heart of Darkness of the Solar Chromosphere. Science 263, 64-66 (1994).
2. Solanki S.K., Schüssler M., Fligge M.: Evolution of the Sun's Large-Scale Magnetic Field Since the Maunder Minimum. Nature 408, 445-447 (2000).
3. Solanki S.K.: Sunspots: An Overview. Astron. Astrophys. Rev. 11, p. 153--286 (2003).
4. Solanki S.K., Lagg A., Woch J., Krupp N., Collados M.: Three-Dimensional Magnetic Field Topology in a Region of Solar Coronal Heating. Nature 425, 692-695 2003).
5. Solanki S.K., Usoskin I.G., Kromer B., Schüssler M., Beer J.: Unusual Activity of the Sun During Recent Decades Compared to the Previous 11,000 Years. Nature 431, 1084-1087 (2004).